- Lewin, Judah Leib
- (1894-1971)Russian rabbi. Born in Yekaterinoslav, he became the rabbi of Grishino, and later at Yekaterinoslav. He then returned to Grishino where he worked as a religious scribe. In 1957 he was appointed principal of the yeshivah of the Moscow Great Synagogue; after the death of Solomon Schliefer he became the rabbi there.
Dictionary of Jewish Biography. Dan Cohn-Sherbok.
Look at other dictionaries:
LEWIN, JUDAH LEIB — (1894–1971), Russian rabbi. Born in Yekaterinoslav, where his father, Eliezer Shemuel, was rabbi, Lewin studied at the Slobodka yeshivah. During World War I he became rabbi of the Ukrainian town Grishino (now Krasnoarmeisk, Ukraine), and later,… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
KALISCHER, JUDAH LEIB BEN MOSES — (d. 1822), av betdin in Lissa. The head of the yeshivah of Lissa for many years, Kalischer was referred to as the sharp sword on account of his profound acumen in the study of the Talmud. He was the author of Ha Yad ha Ḥazakah (Breslau, 1820),… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
MUSIC — This article is arranged according to the following outline: introduction written sources of direct and circumstantial evidence the material relics and iconography notated sources oral tradition archives and important collections of jewish music… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Gomperz (Familie) — Stadtansicht 1647 (Stich von Matthäus Merian) Die Familie Gomperz, ist eine der ältesten und bedeutendsten jüdischen Familien, welche bereits im 16. Jahrhundert am Niederrhein, in Emmerich am Rhein, nachweisbar war und sich europaweit verzweigt… … Deutsch Wikipedia
LVOV — (Pol. Lwów; Ger. Lemberg), main city of Lvov district, Ukraine. The Early Settlements It is thought that the first Jews in Lvov arrived from Byzantiumand the southeast. After the conquest of the town by Casimir III of Poland (1340), they were… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
AUERBACH — AUERBACH, German rabbinical family. The Austrian branch of the family was also known as Wolf. MESHULLAM ZALMAN B. SHALOM (d. Vienna, 1622) belonged to the Wolf branch of the family which later became known as Auerbach Fischhof. There were also… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
BRESLAU — (Polish Wroclaw), city in Silesia, Poland (in Germany until 1945). The ownership by Jews of villages in the vicinity of Breslau (Klein Tinz and Falkendorf) is recorded (1180–1208). The earliest evidence of Jews in Breslau is a tombstone of 1203.… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
CANTONISTS — CANTONISTS, Jewish children who were conscripted to military institutions in czarist Russia with the intention that the conditions in which they were placed would force them to adopt Christianity. The cantonist units were properly barracks… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
ELIJAH BEN SOLOMON ZALMAN — (the Vilna Gaon or Elijah Gaon ; acronym Ha GRA = Ha Gaon Rabbi Eliyahu; 1720–1797), one of the greatest spiritual and intellectual leaders of Jewry in modern times. A man of iron will, Elijah combined the personal life of an intellectual hermit… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
LITHUANIA — (Lithuanian Lietuva; Pol. Litwa; Rus. Litva; Heb. Lita ליטא or ליטה; Yid. Lite ליטע), southernmost of Baltic states of N.E. Europe; from 1940 Lithuanian S.S.R. (for early period, see poland lithuania ). (See Map: Lithuanian Communities). For the… … Encyclopedia of Judaism